Sign in to follow this  
Master GM

N64 Clone Console Coming, See First Video Here

Nintendo may or may not ever release an official N64 Classic, but peripherals company Hyperkin is moving forward with its own emulation-based clone console inspired by Nintendo's classic system.

The Retron Ult Premium Retro Gaming Console for N64, as it's officially known, plays original N64 cartridges, and it outputs at 720p. Included in the box is one "Admiral" controller (with three prongs just like Nintendo's official one), a three-foot HDMI cable, and a six-foot USB C cable. Both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios are supported.

No Caption Provided

Hyperkin is bringing the system to E3 2019 this month, and ahead of that, some footage of the console emerged online. In the video from Hyperkin product manager Andrew Steel, you can see classics like Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros., and GoldenEye running on the system. The video also provides a general overview of what the system looks like and how it operates.

In a LinkedIn post, Steel said, "I'm really excited to offer you a sneak peek at this new prototype. It's still in early development, but it's solid enough to be eye-catching and perhaps a piece of the craziest news at this year's E3. While I can't give you any details at the moment, I hope you enjoy the video, and are just as excited as I am!"

As he says, the Ultra Retron will be at E3 2019 next week in Los Angeles, so keep checking back with GameSpot for more. There is no word yet on a release date or price for the Ultra Retron.

View the full article